Monday, February 25, 2013

Baked Clay {Easter} Place Card Holders

I have said it before and I will say it again:  I love Easter.  I love it for its true meaning and I love it for all the sweetness that comes from the pastels, the bunnies and the colored eggs.  I love going to the Sunrise Service at church and seeing little girls in their Easter dresses.  It all seems so quaint and (at least for myself), it makes the world slow down a little bit.  It gives us a chance to look at what is important, what is real and what is good.  In the spirit of Easter, I have decided to make a little something that is quaint and fun at the same time...


"Peeps" are those famous marshmallow bunnies, chicks (and now about any other holiday shape) covered in brightly colored sugar.  You know the ones.  You either love them or you hate them.  I got burnt out on them after years of gorging myself, but deep down I still love those adorable little sugar bunnies!

I think the idea of using place card holders at home is so quaint in and of itself.  We often see them in restaurants or at weddings, but rarely are they found at small gatherings with friends in our own homes.  I believe this to be another one of those "lost treasures" like written correspondence or reading the newspaper.

{We had a little accident with his eye- oops!  Nothing a little drop of paint wont fix!)

{Easy to Make}
The instructions are simple. Get yourself a block of baked clay (I use Sculpey Brand "Bake Shop") and mold to your desired shape. Don't forget to make a "slice" in the back of your shape for the place cards to fit (this must be done before baking). Four bunnies take less than 3/4 of the block to make. Follow the baking instructions listed on the packaging. Once your shapes are done baking, let cool and then color with acrylic paint.

That's it! Set up and enjoy!



{Your Turn}
I was going to make some realistic looking bunnies as well but then realized that I have zero sculpting abilities (one of those artistic talents that I never quite grasped!) What do you think of the "Peeps" theme? Have I inspired you to make your own place card holders? If you do- I would love to see pictures, so link up your posts!

Happy Crafting,
Kelsie Ann

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea - I'm using it as a craft for the kids and the perfect place card holders for the adults!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This was one of my favorite crafts that turned out much better than ever expected! I love peeps!

      Delete