Sunday, August 12, 2012

Thank You Card with Skrinky Dink

Hello my friends!  I am happy to say that I am back from Alaska and ready to craft (when am I not?)!  I hope you all enjoyed Laurie's tutorial on Shrinky Dink necklaces- I sure did!  As a matter of fact, it inspired me to try my own Shrinky Dink craft:


Yes, yes, I realize this is a paper card, but look at the fish!  That's right, Shrinky Dink. 

I wanted to send a Thank You card to the person who so generously allowed us to go on the Alaska trip.  Since it was a fishing trip, I figured a "fishing" theme would be perfect!


{That's me with my "biggest catch".  Considering that I haven't been fishing since I had my 2 foot Mickey Mouse pole, I thought it was pretty good.  My husband and I brought home 160 pounds of fish... and neither of us eat it, which means that for us, right now is the "season of giving"!}

Anyways, For the shape of the card, I used my Silhouette.  I then found the fisherman image and cut him out, leaving a small border around him.  For the waves I just tore different shades of blue paper to look like waves.  Easy Peasy.

The fish was a different story.  First, I made one that was much too small, then I made this one that I used:


{See how the corner of his tail flips up?  Apparently I need  more practice with Shrinky Dinks!}

I figured it gives it character... right?  I did paint the piece before shrinking, but wrote out the "Thank You" afterwards and it seems to stick just fine.

One more thing...
Do any of you ever catch yourselves doing something and then realize that you are slowly becoming your parents?  For me this happens ALL THE TIME.  It's a good thing that my husband likes my mom, because I am so much like her.

As I finish writing up the message inside this Thank You card, I realize that a few of my letters are starting to look an awful lot like hers:


Well, I guess it happens.  She's a pretty good person to be like.

Thanks for sitting through this post with me and for listening to all my thoughts as they spew out onto the screen.  I was excited to tell you about Alaska and this project, but there was just so much to say!

Please comment and let me know about YOUR Shrinky Dink experiences.  I am still *in love* with Laurie's projects and accepting the fact that it is just not my forte!

With Love,
Kelsie Ann

2 comments:

  1. Cute Kelsie! I like that you used shrinky dinks on a card! Smiles, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill! Working with them took me back to elementary school!

    ReplyDelete