Saturday, July 28, 2012

Rainy Day Project {love in a jar}

Our home was a little off yesterday.  First we found out that the guest bathroom causes water to leak into the basement, then we lost power during a storm.  Between no power, no water and my husband being out for a meeting I was stuck trying to find something to do. 

I had just spent the day cleaning the house so that option is out.  No water, so catching up on laundry is a loss.  No electricity, so my sewing machine was out of commission.  I had to find a craft that I could do the "old fashioned" way!

Here's what I came up with:



I've been thinking about doing a project like this for a couple days now.  As I was helping my husband fix up the tool shed the other day I saw a piece of OSB Board that had all the smaller pieces of wood pressed together.  I think that looks so neat, so why couldn't I create that with a different material?

I love everything about newspaper (aren't you sad to see the decline of it?) and it was perfect for this project.

1. Grab a container.  I used a quart sized mason jar.

2. Tear different shapes and sizes of newspaper.  Tearing it instead of cutting it creates rougher edges which gives it that neat kind of romantic/rustic look (or maybe that's just me)!

3. Attach the newspaper to the jar using mod podge.  I think it is easier to put the glue straight onto the newspaper so that  you aren't fussing with glue everywhere.


{I pressed down along all the designs on the jar just for fun!}

4. Make sure to set one piece of newspaper aside with a heart cut out of it.  For this jar, my heart was about the size of a nickle.



5. When you have figured out where you want the heart to show through, take some paint and color a small area onto the jar.


6.  Finish attaching the newspaper and place the heart piece over your paint.  Once it has had time to dry, cover the entire thing with Mod Podge to create a seal.

Isn't that easy and totally cute?

 I love that meshed together newspaper look!

Want to know my favorite part about it?  Right next to the pink heart are newspaper pieces of a "love story" article.  Totally on accident and entirely too perfect! (check out the full jar pics to see it)


Don't wait for the next power outage to make your own, it is a fun and easy project for ANY day!  As always, I'm interested in seeing your creations so feel free to share here.

With Love,
Kelsie Ann


{Linked up to: Jaihart - sundays are lovely- #11 }

No comments:

Post a Comment